goodmode dot neocities

goodmode

goodmode dot neocities Empty goodmode dot neocities

Post by goodmode Thu 23 Nov 2017, 2:00 am

heyyyy so i have a website i've been working on and throwing at my twitter on occasion but i figured i'd plug it here...

i'm looking for feedback - if anyone notices anything broken, or has any ideas of what i can add, drop that bomb at me asap :^)

it is just a personal site with no real purpose at the moment, but i hope it's nice to look at at least lmao ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Inazuma Sun
    Admin

goodmode dot neocities Empty Re: goodmode dot neocities

Post by Inazuma Sun Thu 23 Nov 2017, 2:39 pm

I haven't looked at anything thoroughly but I do want to make a note that you're free to affiliate [you have some Pokemon art, that's close enough to relevant in my eyes lmfao] and that I'm surprisingly fond of the design. I say surprisingly because I don't tend to like white/light backgrounds because it makes me feel like I'm staring into a light bulb. The dark background helps as well as the large font size, omg thank you so much for making it perfectly readable, overall the design is appealing on the eyes

I also wanted to ask about Neocities because I considered using it but it seemed like it wanted to be social media, but this is a legit site. Are the comment sections provided by Neocities or did you code those in? What's the service like to use?
    goodmode

Post by goodmode Fri 24 Nov 2017, 12:31 am

gotcha! i will add JD's badge to my affiliates bar as soon as i get back from work - i tried to do it this morning but there's an issue with a mystery "display:none" and i don't have the time this morning to retrace my steps to find out where i put it lmao i am a dummy fixed and added!!

i definitely designed the site with accessibility in mind. too much pale colour hurts my eyes so i opted for dark backgrounds/banners but white-on-black text also hurts my eyes after too long so i had the text boxes white since i knew i'd be staring at it a lot... i kinda like how the balance turned out :^) also small fonts are my biggest hugest pet peeve in web design so i stubbornly kicked my base font up to like 20px LMAO if i ever have to read blocks of shadowed 3px text on another tiny 500x500 site as long as i live it'll be too soon

ANYWAY neocities does have a weird social media-y element to it but it's very ignore-able and the actual hosting site functions about as you'd expect. here's a screenshot of my "edit site" page for reference

neocities only hosts static sites, so i can't use PHP or databases i don't think? but that's not generally an issue for me because a static site is all i want anyway, and plus i've found workarounds in javascript, which it allows just fine. and the filetypes are limited unless you upgrade to Supporter but 1. that's only $5 a month (and comes with a lot of bells and whistles) and 2. i don't really have any need to host zip files or anything myself.

you can also point a domain name to it if you upgrade to supporter but i'm still thinking it over haha.

anyway the "social media"-ish side of the site is basically just, like - you can click a follow button if you visit someone's neocities account page and you'll get a note on your little dashboard thing when they update their website. you can post statuses too and i mostly just use mine for asking javascript questions because i'm a big baby.

again, that whole side of things is super easy to ignore and just not use, though it's possible you'll get follows or comments from other users on the site - which is due to the way the directory is set up, so that you can organise by "most views" or "last updated" or whatever. i'm absolutely not complaining at all because it means i can find things like this
    Inazuma Sun
    Admin

Post by Inazuma Sun Fri 24 Nov 2017, 4:32 pm

Looks great, I like what you said about us on the links page :3

Well seeing this definitely helped me decide about wanting to build a site, I guess I'll try Neocities [do they allow multiple accounts or multiple sites on one account? I like having a test site first] because all of that looks/sounds very familiar to me. I've been having a hard time finding a free host I like but they've come across as reliable enough

I really fuckin admire that priority for accessibility, hopefully I'll design something just as good lmfao but I know I'll insert a javascript styleswitcher for people whose eyes aren't like mine & insert some various colour schemes & fun designy things

It is disappointing that you need to upgrade to just point a domain name to it though. Even Tumblr lets you point a domain name you purchased elsewhere to your blog & tbh I even considered using Tumblr itself as a host for a small website due to that little feature. Unless the Neocities account upgrade also came with a free domain name, that would be very appealing

Also jesus fuck those sites THE LAST ONE IS THE BEST ONE LMFAO
    goodmode

Post by goodmode Sat 25 Nov 2017, 6:06 am

i do want to add a styleswitcher at some point ;^) i just gotta take a rest from CSS after setting up the whole site like that haha. i'm toying with the idea of some sections of my site being totally different but it depends what content i play with...

as for the domain thing, i do agree on some level, but i personally feel like i'm happy with that considering the clear ethics neocities is going for. here's a quote from the founder:

Kyle Drake wrote:Nothing scales like static HTML. It’s easy and affordable for NeoCities to host millions of web sites without having to worry about making a profit. Even the current 10 Megabyte limit on accounts is just a conservative start. We will be raising the limit to 20 Megabytes soon, and probably will be raising it much higher later as we learn what our scaling needs are. Part of the reason we will be able to do this is that I’m building some better servers that can handle 2+ million NeoCities accounts. I’m paying for the servers out of pocket, which is tough for me because I currently don’t have a large income, but NeoCities needs and deserves it. The web needs and deserves it. If we are to break free from the consumption-oriented web we have today, we need more creative spaces like this.

My goal is to pay for the site through donations from contributors and through supporter accounts. I will not be taking any money with dangerous strings attached to it, and I will not be turning it into a VC-backed startup. We need to maintain this as a sustainable resource, the same way that sites like the Internet Archive are. The source code to NeoCities is available, for anyone that wants to help. If you like this idea, any and all help is welcome!
    (from here)

considering where the site is getting its upkeep fees is largely the $5 supporter accounts, i don't mind so much. for $5, you can see what you get here as well as the domain pass (hoping you can see that page without a login haha?) - and to answer your first question, supporter status also allows you to create up to 30 separate sites under the same account, which imo is pretty crazy for that price haha.

tl;dr not being able to point a domain for free is kinda weird but, for me, worth it for the price and what comes with it :^0 YMMV though
    Inazuma Sun
    Admin

Post by Inazuma Sun Sat 25 Nov 2017, 8:33 am

Yeah I still vastly prefer my domain name pointing be free because I still have to pay for the domain name, unless both are bundled together [like what I did when I had a Dreamhost site, both domain & hosting were bundled]. Not only is it way easier for people that want both, but it also gives people the option to go get a namecheap domain & have it pointed to a free site for a decade lol

Anyway I'm still real fond of all this & you know what I think I'll just get a supporter account right off the bat so I can make a test site first before I go doing anything ambitious. I really like the fact that they refund what you don't use. Like, just stating that alone makes me much more willing shell out actual money.
    goodmode

Post by goodmode Sat 25 Nov 2017, 12:41 pm

yeah i think ive just been thinking of it like a bundle deal in that you get extra space and the bells&whistles etc, but i agree it ought to be a free basic thing usually

haha well you can probably just test it out on a free account then delete/rearrange folders to start fresh if you like! but ye if you think youll use it then my best wishes go with u :^)

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri 29 Mar 2024, 1:34 am