Philip DeFranco

Inazuma Sun
    Admin

Philip DeFranco Empty Philip DeFranco

Post by Inazuma Sun Sun 10 Sep 2017, 10:50 pm

This guy is great. Philip DeFranco updates pretty much daily, he's a good place to go to get the full story on recent events. I'd replace the news with him if I had any say in it. :V

This is where I'd embed today's video, but he's deleting it tomorrow because it's an announcement/explanation of sorts. He's going to be a little busy...

Philip DeFranco Baby10

Carter DeFranco! His second kid. I feel like something cute like that is a good note to make the first post about.
    Inazuma Sun
    Admin

Philip DeFranco Empty Re: Philip DeFranco

Post by Inazuma Sun Wed 13 Sep 2017, 12:50 pm

So if any of us want to talk about PewDiePie's bullshit, we can do it here, he covers the entire thing as per usual, including that the Firewatch dev is filing dmca takedowns against Pewd's video content featuring the game, which is hilarious but tbh I don't agree with them abusing the dmca takedown to accomplish what they're trying for here

Footage of Pewds apologising is at the beginning in the next video:

And it's... a surprisingly good apology. Btw I now want to hit Ted Cruz with one of my overly large Bad Dragon dildos

Also THANK YOU PHIL Re: DO5, you saved those kids' lives.
    Airyll

Post by Airyll Wed 13 Sep 2017, 3:25 pm

I watch a lot of PhillyD's stuff - and congrats to him and his new kid.

That said, I have my problems with him, too. For example: the guy is a millionaire, and yet he recently set up a Patreon or something like that and I didn't... enjoy the reasons he cited for it. And maybe that's just me being stingy, but seriously, why does a millionaire need a Patreon for his new show?

But personal problems aside with some of his behaviour and knowing some of his past, his videos themselves are always pretty interesting to watch and he is, at least, open to discussion more often than not on every subject he talks about. I don't always think he's the best of journalists out there, but he does seem to at least try and provide reasonable viewpoints with as little bias as possible.

I don't buy into the hype that Phillip "saved" the lives of the DO5 kids, and I need to finish watching the final update video at some point, but I'm glad that he didn't drop the issue when he came under pressure. Phillip solely, however, can't take the credit for everything - while he was singled out by the parents because he called them out on what they were doing, I'll also have to be fair and say the otherwise absolutely DEPLORABLE Keemstar or whatever the fuck he goes by helped keep the fire lit under that topic.
    Inazuma Sun
    Admin

Post by Inazuma Sun Wed 13 Sep 2017, 8:58 pm

I will admit I tend to watch him every few weeks in bulk instead of every day, & I haven't been watching that long, but I agree with pretty much everything you've said here.

I'll admit that I don't watch nor care about Keemstar, but I knew there were others involved, for sure. I remember back when that first happened all sorts of people were making videos about it, I remember watching one by a psychologist & her thoughts on the situation.
    Airyll

Post by Airyll Thu 14 Sep 2017, 5:53 am

I think Phil is largely the one people consider to be responsible because he was the only big channel - at the time - to immediately call them out on what they were doing. Keemstar, while I have no respect for the man, played called on Devil's Advocate because that's just how he gets his views: he stirs up a bunch of drama or uses bullshit like "I grew up in a family like that and turned out fine" excuses to take the obvious unsavoury side of a story.

Which, honestly, is probably why it came to be such a shock to everybody when Keemstar then turned around later, after an interview with them and after more videos surfaced due to the digging everybody else had been doing into the channel, and said that the family were deplorable and he no longer had any wish to even try and defend them. So... yeah. In that one regard alone, Phil was definitely the first big channel to scoop the story and make it viral fast - and was the only one the family hit out against on their own channel - but he certainly wasn't the only big channel that got the story spread or did the digging. Razz

I think my biggest issue with Phillip is that he can get very preachy in a lot of his stories. He'll offer unbiased reporting on the story itself, and then offer his opinion and that by itself is fine. The problem I tend to find is that he very rarely seems to actually open up the "discussions" he claims to want to have with his viewers by finding good counter-points to his arguments and actually considering them in follow up episodes. A good example of this is when he was dealing with the Nazi that got punched in the face: his stance was that we needed to "talk to them" and not "fall to their level".

Plenty of people, myself included, left comments explaining why that moderate-pacifist bullshit just doesn't work and is the very reason that fascism continues to breed in modern society - because moderate-pacifist people like himself preach about how important "free speech" is without ever condoning the fact that free speech doesn't free you from consequence and also maybe people who believe that minorities need to die don't deserve to spread violent hate rhetoric. Never - never once ever since that episode - did I see Phillip pick up any of these comments and discuss them. He/his team picked comments that were easy to either shoot down for obvious stupidity or ones that agreed with him.

So in that regard, I find his content is a little bias. He's good to watch for seeing news stories with few bias, but when it comes to his actual opinions on things he can not only be preachy, but he never defends them from legitimate counterpoints and he's almost an extreme apologist. Like his content or not, I can't pretend that I have respect for somebody who thinks Nazis deserve to have a platform to talk from just because "free speech" is a thing, nor do I really have respect for somebody who will go out of his way to be an apologist for shitty behaviour. (The recent PewDiePie bullshit is a good example of this: even when he admits Felix probably uses the N-slur in real life if it came out of his mouth so easily, Phil finds excuses to tell us how much of a good guy Felix is and how his apology was "so right" even though the apology was the biggest crock of shit seven ways to Sunday.)
    Inazuma Sun
    Admin

Post by Inazuma Sun Thu 14 Sep 2017, 12:16 pm

OH! I know the interview you're talking about, I think if I didn't see the whole thing I watched some of it, I guess I just completely forgot about it. [Also another day that ends in Y]

Airyll wrote:A good example of this is when he was dealing with the Nazi that got punched in the face: his stance was that we needed to "talk to them" and not "fall to their level".

Plenty of people, myself included, left comments explaining why that moderate-pacifist bullshit just doesn't work and is the very reason that fascism continues to breed in modern society - because moderate-pacifist people like himself preach about how important "free speech" is without ever condoning the fact that free speech doesn't free you from consequence and also maybe people who believe that minorities need to die don't deserve to spread violent hate rhetoric. Never - never once ever since that episode - did I see Phillip pick up any of these comments and discuss them. He/his team picked comments that were easy to either shoot down for obvious stupidity or ones that agreed with him.
    Okay this I 100% agree with, actually, after that video is when I stopped watching him daily. You can't rationalise & talk to people that believe in genocide of any group.
    Inazuma Sun
    Admin

Post by Inazuma Sun Tue 03 Oct 2017, 8:43 am

This one is really important:

@Baron Espurr
    Inazuma Sun
    Admin

Post by Inazuma Sun Fri 20 Oct 2017, 12:00 am

the world is ending
    Inazuma Sun
    Admin

Post by Inazuma Sun Thu 14 Dec 2017, 8:42 pm

PLEASE watch this. We need to #SaveTheInternet.

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu 09 May 2024, 3:57 am